Make the New Year a New You
[Note: This content was first published in one of Michael's Friday5 newsletters. Subscribe here.]
I love this time of year!
The first twenty days of the year are a great opportunity to take stock of oneself and work with what philosopher John Locke called tabula rasa (the blank slate).
Of course, we have a chance for a blank slate every new month--and every new day for that matter.
The secret of life is having something to look forward to and the New Year will provide great opportunities, if you care to grab them.
Here's a New Year's motivational message that I recorded ten years ago that still holds up today. (Subscribe to my YouTube channel (ring that silver bell!) to be notified of new vids, thanks.)
1. Fewer automobile accidents Love'em or hate 'em, self-driving cars are coming. The 2019 Jeep Cherokee comes equipped with automatic parking that backs in faster than I do. Self-driving cars will mean fewer accidents, which is great news because apparently humans cannot seem to avoid distracted driving.
2. Clarity Frustrated by personal relationships, work teams, politics and advertising? You may be a victim of gas-lighting. Once you know how it works, you can avoid a lot of drama--and stop being part of the problem.
3. A polio free world Once the scourge of children everywhere, there are now only a handful cases in remote places. You may not care about polio, but you should be noticing how Rotary and other NGOs are working with agencies such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to systematically eradicate a disease. This is only the second time a disease has been kicked off Planet Earth. There will be more. Thanks, Rotary!
4. Better health There's never been a better time to understand what's good for you. Perfluoroalkyls (PFAS) is a grease-resistant chemical used in pizza boxes and burger wrappers. PFAS and other "forever chemicals" can be easily avoided, if you pay attention. It takes about four years for these cancer-causing agents in your body to reduce by 50%--even if you stop ingesting them today. Click here to read about my best birthday present ever.
5. More chances to help others It's rewarding to help one person at a time, but it's super rewarding and hyper-efficient to help groups of people. Whether you're a leader or in sales, elite presentation skills are waiting for you.
Happy new you!
Join my Present Like a Pro Facebook group for ongoing speaking tips and schedule a free Break-Through Call, so you can level up your presentations in 2020.
Whatever happens in 2020, I'm really glad we're connected! Pay it forward by sharing this post with other kindred spirits who'll enjoy it.